Looooooong story short: when we bought the house we knew we would eventually have to build a retaining wall and replace our renter’s deck. We were told that it would have to happen sometime in the next decade…then the inspector for the housing and rental department informed us that because the previous owners had really pissed off the city, we now had 30days to bring the wall and the deck up to code. Luckily we had already finished the architectural plans and started the permit process. With the clock ticking we broke ground.
After seeing the work he did on his own house we hired our neighbor Perry Brown as contractor.
After breaking out the old footing we began digging pylon holes 8ft into bedrock
While digging the holes we struck an underground river! The first day there was 2inches of water, the next morning the holes were filled with 7ft of water. We had to raise the psi of the cement (quick drying)
After the pylons were poured and dried, we tied them with rebar into a long footing cage and poured again (very sturdy)
Meanwhile the deck foundation was being poured 4ft into the ground
Then, after the footing dried we began creating a mold for the wall. Rebar all over the place.
After drying we removed the mold and began the slow (and loud) process of compacting the soil behind the wall. This effectively added five feet of extra space on the side of our house. Plenty of room for a walkway and new privacy by our bedroom window.
Then we made a mold for the stairs and the new side walk
Next was metal hand rails (per the permit)
This week we finished the stucco on the deck, the wooden deck hand rails and final inspections. After three extensions all work needed to be complete by last Thursday. Perry screwed in the last two screws as the inspector arrived. Final inspections are complete and by Monday this ordeal will be over. At the end of the day we have a beautiful new wall, our renter loves her new deck and the city is happy with us. We made it!!